OVERCROWDING AN ISSUE FOR SHELTERS
The term lifesaver is used so often in our conversations, we sometimes forget that we are capable of literally saving lives every day.
Shelters are usually the last chance for a dog or cat. The goal for the shelter is to upgrade “last chance” to “second chance.” The biggest challenge facing shelters today is the risk of overpopulation and funding for the resources to care for strays, rescues, and abandoned pets. When you adopt a pet from a shelter you help reduce overpopulation and provide support to a facility and a staff that is trying to provide a second chance.
Currently half the dogs and cats that enter shelters get adopted. Sadly 20% of dogs get euthanized and 27% of cats get euthanized.
SUPPORT ADOPT A SHELTER DOG MONTH
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) and the American Humane Association (AHA) have deemed the month of October National Adopt a Shelter Dog Month and Adopt a Dog Month, respectively.
5 REASONS TO ADOPT A DOG
- YOU SAVE A DOG’s LIFE: Your new pup will never forget that you gave them a second chance.
- FIGHT OVERPOPULATION: The shelters continue to fight overpopulation, you can help.
- FIGHT PUPPY MILLS: When you buy a dog at If you buy a dog from a pet store, online seller or flea market, you risk buying from a puppy mill.
- ADOPT AN ADULT: Some adult pets are already trained, and they are the most at-risk for being euthanized.
- IT COST LESS: Most shelters cover the cost of spaying and neutering, first vaccinations and most even cover microchipping. This is a huge savings in up-front cost of a new pet. Depending on the pet it may already be housebroken and trained.
REASON NUMBER 6
Trade out those selfies on Facebook and Instagram with pictures of your new companion.
HELP CELEBRATE ADOPT A SHELTER DOG MONTH
Here are three ways you can help the cause.
- Donate your Facebook status. Just paste this message into the “What’s on your mind?” box at the top of your page: “October is Adopt-A-Shelter-Dog Month. Save a life: Adopt a dog! https://www.petfinder.com”
- Tweet, retweet and repeat the following (or your own brilliant message): “October is Adopt-A-Shelter-Dog Month. Save a life: Adopt a dog! https://www.petfinder.com #savedogs”
- Contact your local shelter or rescue group (you can search for groups near you here) and ask if they have a donation wish list or other flyer they’d like to you to post around your office or neighborhood. They may be holding special events for Adopt-A-Shelter-Dog Month which you can help promote.
Gresham Animal Hospital is equipped to provide the service and treatment your pet needs under one roof. Keep Gresham Animal Hospital in mind next time your dog or cat needs a checkup, shots, or vaccines. Give us a call at 503.666.1600 to schedule an appointment today.